Tuesday, March 01, 2005

sponsor kids??

been thinking today about our sponsor child - baby salini. never met her, probably never will. when she writes us letters she calls us mummy and daddy. i've had a question mark in my spirit for a while over this one.

6 weeks ago hubby and i were in cambodia on our inaugural 'mission' trip. gees, that country has a 'hand out' mentality. can't blame them, they have been through absolute hell, but i'm not quite convinced that 'hand outs' is what christ is thinking when he talks about transforming our world.

i think i want baby salini to look to the elders in her village for her economic hope, not some magical white person (ie me).

the process of transforming a community from poverty to economical sustainable seems difficult. my thinking cap is on. in the mean time i'll keep dishing out the cash and just hope and pray that baby salini doesn't think i'm more important or powerful than the indian grown-ups she knows. - charlie

1 comment:

Vawz said...

So what do you do? Ditch the kid? This is a tough one, I feel a low level of 'ownership' for our sponsor child. And feel what you do regarding this issue, I would like to invest in some more micro-economic enterprise as I feel it gives greater responsability to locals. But do I just keep sponsoring my kid? I hate the thought of deserting her.