Saturday, May 28, 2005

follow your heart

"follow your heart, not your head" my superwise, conservative 87 year old grandma wrote to me last week.

'follow your heart'...does she have any idea how dangerous this advise is?? my heart is mysteriously risky. it seems to be lacking all the self protetive safety mechanisms programmed nicely into my brain.

my brains sees a hungry child and thinks of the total financial cost of ending global poverty.
my brian see a lonely neighbour and reminds me of how busy and tired i am.
my brain sees a dirty earth and says 'you are only one person. what can you do'
my brain sees the refugees and says 'they're probably bludgers or terrorists anyway. not your problem.'

my brain looks after me. he keeps me safe, warm and comfortable. my brain ensures a healthy superannuation package.

but my heart?? who knows what my heart will do??

my heart sees a hungry child and cries 'feed her'
my heart sees a lonely neighbour and whispers 'chat'
my heart sees a dirty earth and says 'clean it'
my heart sees an innocent sister in prison and screams 'free her'

i know my heart and i can not trust her to keep me safe, warm and comfortable. she is a perilous and risky guide and i have no idea where she will take me. she does not care about my superannuation package, she cares only for the heart of god.
charlie

3 comments:

Kel said...

you said it Charlie, your Grandma is superwise

the tension between head and heart is an ongoing tug-o-war alright

Andrew, like your take on it too, and went to check out and comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me comment as I'm not on the "team" :(

Tom said...

another one of those things where there has to be an extreme balance...

two words that don't go together very often ... extreme and balance... but I believe thats what Christ was. Using an extreme balance between brain and heart.

Anonymous said...

charlie if people could have just the tiniest part of ytour passion, then i thik theworld world a better place. I love you and miss you.
Krissy